Give the Gift of Hope
When you give to the Rescue Mission, you are providing a meal for a hungry child, health care for someone who has no options, one more day of supported sobriety for the addict, job training for the previously unemployable, food for a family on the verge of homelessness, tutoring for the woman getting her GED, and so much more. When you give to the Rescue Mission, you give hope to the hopeless.
Other Opportunities to Give
By empowering Mission month to month, you join a group of special friends who come alongside the men, women, and children in search of help and hope at the Roanoke Rescue Mission. Your monthly donation will provide consistent support for food, shelter, recovery, education, medical care, case management, and so much more!
Gifts In Kind
The Rescue Mission is open 24/7, 365 days a year. With an average of 250 people each night in our emergency shelters, we depend on the generosity of donors to help us meet the needs of our guests. What items are we looking for?
Find them on our Amazon Wish list
Shop our up-to-date list of most-needed items and your purchase will be sent right to our door! Please note: we will not know who the gift is from unless you opt to include a gift note. Please include your name, email address and mailing address so we can say thank you and send
a donation receipt. Click here for the Wish List.
Kroger Community Rewards:
Every time you check out with your Kroger Plus card, Kroger will give back to the non-profit of your choice!
- Go to www.kroger.com
- Click on Sign In/Register
- Click Community, then Community Rewards
- Click Enroll Now
- Enter the Rescue Mission’s NPO number (82242) or search for Roanoke Rescue Mission
- Select the Rescue Mission and click Enroll
In 2015, the Rescue Mission received $14,078 in rewards! (You must re-enroll annually for this program.)
Curbside service awaits when you pull up to our Distribution & Recycling Center to drop off your gently used clothing, furniture, household goods, toys, etc. for our thrift stores. To find out what we DO NOT accept, click here.
To schedule a home pick up for a large donation click here. To expedite pickup service, the Rescue Mission needs a new truck. Wholesome Harvest Baking Company is raising funds to help us purchase a truck.Click here to join the effort (make sure to select Wholesome Harvest Truck Fund on the Donation page drop-down menu to designate your gift).
The Rescue Mission operates THRIFT 460 and 2nd Helpings Upscale Resale Shop, Gallery, & Cafe, all of which function as earned income practices. Find exceptional bargains or enjoy a scrumptious lunch, knowing that all proceeds from your purchases help feed and shelter families in crisis. For store hours, directions, donation information, etc., click here.
Why donate your vehicle to the Rescue Mission? Many donated vehicles are sold to help fund services to men and women seeking sobriety in our Recovery Program. Others are used to transport guests to appointments or pickup supplies and donations. The Mission is licensed by the Virginia DMV to sell vehicles to ensure your gift directly benefits the homeless. Once the vehicle is sold or given away, you will receive a 1099 for your taxes.
- Vehicles accepted in running condition only
- The vehicle(s) must be driven to the Rescue Mission with an accurate title and title information
- Titles must be signed by individual(s) listed on title
- Office paperwork takes approximately 5 minutes to complete
Dealership Hours of Operation
Tuesday-Friday from 9am-2pm or by appointment.
Rescue Mission Foundation
Honor or memorialize a special loved one with the purchase of a wood Legacy Block on the Honor Thy Father wall in Fralin Chapel or the Honor Thy Mother wall in the Women and Children’s Center. The block is inscribed with the name of your loved one and helps the Foundation endow the future of the Rescue Mission.
There are several ways to plan today for the Rescue Mission’s future. Gifts may include bequests, charitable gift annuities, appreciated assets such as real estate or stock, trusts, or cash. With a Planned Gift to the Rescue Mission Foundation, you can make a bigger difference than you ever thought possible.
For a more information on Legacy Blocks or detailed Planned Giving options through the Rescue Mission Foundation, click here.
IRA Charitable Rollover
As a result of legislation Congress enacted in 2015, individuals age 70½ or older can make gifts directly from their IRA to charity.
- Avoid taxes on transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA to the Rescue Mission
- Satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year
- Reduce your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions
- Make a gift that is not subject to the 50% deduction limits on charitable gifts
- Help the Rescue Mission help people in crisis
How an IRA charitable rollover gift works
- Contact your IRA plan administrator to make a gift from your IRA to Roanoke Rescue Mission.
- Your IRA funds will be directly transferred to the Mission to help continue our important work.
- Please note that IRA charitable rollover gifts do not qualify for a charitable deduction.