The Rescue Mission Foundation was established in 1991 to create an endowment fund for the support of the Rescue Mission. With a gift to The Rescue Mission Foundation, donors can make a more significant difference than they ever thought possible. Give with confidence. The Rescue Mission Foundation will wisely invest your gift today so that it continues helping people in crisis tomorrow.
Possible gifts to the Foundation include bequests, charitable gift annuities, appreciated assets such as real estate or stock, trusts, or cash. You can even direct your gift to endow specific ministries at the Rescue Mission:
- The John Sylvester-Johnson Memorial Fund—gifts to this fund comprise a permanent endowment to support the Residential Recovery Program that was the hallmark of Dr. Sylvester-Johnson’s ministry at the Rescue Mission.
- The Joy Sylvester-Johnson Leadership for Tomorrow Fund—established to recognize and honor the legacy of the Rescue Mission’s founding family and help secure their vision for the Mission into the future
- Peter Howze Jones Family Legacy Fund—established by the family of devoted Rescue Mission volunteer Peter Jones to honor his memory, provide ongoing support for the Mission, and promote volunteerism.
If you would like to donate to one of these funds, click here.
Charitable Gift Annuities
Stop living at the mercy of fluctuating stock and real estate markets. A charitable gift annuity is a gift made to the Rescue Mission Foundation that can provide you with a secure source of fixed payments for life.
How a charitable gift annuity works
A charitable gift annuity is a way to make a gift to support the Rescue Mission Foundation.
1. You transfer cash or marketable securities to the Rescue Mission Foundation
2. We promise to pay quarterly fixed payments to you for life, and a portion of each payment may be tax-free
3. You will receive a charitable income tax deduction for the gift portion of the annuity
4. You also receive satisfaction of knowing that you are helping further our mission
If you decide to fund your gift annuity with cash, a significant portion of the annuity payment will be tax-free. You may also fund a gift annuity through a gift of appreciated securities and avoid a portion of the capital gains tax.
Legacy Blocks…building a lasting foundation
Honor or memorialize those you love with the purchase of a wood Legacy Block on the Honor Thy Father wall in Fralin Chapel or the Honor Thy Mother wall in the Women and Children’s Center. For a minimum $1,000 donation, the block is inscribed with the name of your special loved one and helps the Foundation collect and invest funds to endow the future of the Rescue Mission.
A charitable bequest is one of the easiest and most flexible ways that you can leave a gift to the Rescue Mission that will make a lasting impact.
Benefits of a Bequest
- Receive an estate tax charitable deduction
- Reduce the burden of taxes on your family
- Leave a lasting legacy to charity
There are several ways you can make a bequest to the Rescue Mission.
- Percentage bequest – make a gift of a percentage of your estate
- Specific bequest – make a gift of a specific dollar amount or a specific asset
- Residual bequest – make a gift from the balance or residue of your estate
In order to make a bequest, speak with an attorney who can help you include the Roanoke Rescue Mission in your will. Click here for basic bequest language to assist you in your estate planning.
Please contact us if you need additional information. If you have already included the Roanoke Rescue Mission in your estate plan, please let us know. We would like to thank you and recognize you for your gift.